Seek My Face. Know My Heart.

By Rachel - 8/20/2014 01:22:00 PM



SEEK MY FACE. KNOW MY HEART. 

This has been the anthem, the song, the desire of my heart for this season of my life. Back in January I attended a worship night at a local church. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but hey, its hard for me to pass up a good night of worship! That evening I had such a beautifully powerful and unexpected encounter with the Lord. I could feel the Holy Spirit alive in me. A yearning to worship Him with every ounce of my being, with every bone in my body. It was a time in my life when I was almost half way done grade twelve- full of questions and anxious thoughts about how i should spend the following year. Overwhelming possibilities and endless choices. For many months, I had been asking God to reveal to me my future and what it would/should look like. And in my mind, I was expecting Him to tell me every detail and decision i should make- from where i should go to school and what career i should pursue, to who i should marry and how many kids i should have. haha ok, maybe i didn't go that far but, being the impatient person i am, i selfishly wanted answers. As i sat in the presence of God on that January evening, He whispered these six simple words to me: Seek My face, know My heart. 

Seek His face. God was calling me to pursue Him, to press into Him. And no, not just when it was convenient for me or when I was feeling lost and needed guidance. But to truly pursue Him, truly desire Him to be Lord over my entire life- in every season and every circumstance. Psalm 105:4 says, "Look to the Lord and His strength, SEEK HIS FACE ALWAYS." This goes hand-in-hand with the second part- knowing His heart. This is the part that I think we all tend to over complicate, myself included! I had spent so much time sitting around wondering what God's plan was for my life and what He desired of me- waiting for an audible, booming voice or a grand sign or gesture. I felt like i was getting nothing from the big guy upstairs and it was incredibly frustrating. But i knew what He meant when He said "know My heart". He was clearly saying, 'Rachel, get in the Word!' "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17) God, our powerful Maker, breathed His every desire into those pages- His very essence entwined in every word, every chapter, every verse. Teaching us, guiding us, convicting us and giving us wisdom- revealing His heart for His children. As I began to dwell on His Word, it became so clear to me what he calls us to do. Not just what he asks of us, but what he instructs and demands from our lives. Through scripture He softened my heart and revealed to me what the framework of my life should be. He revealed His heart for the nations and for the lost- that we would go and share the gospel. He revealed characteristics that He calls us to exude- love, joy, peace patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. It's funny because since sunday school as a kid I've always known the fruits of the Spirit but never really took them to heart. When I actually examined each one in relation to my life, I found myself so deeply convicted. God's Word breathed new life into my heart. I have come to realize that while time spent in the presence of Jesus is oh so wonderful and refreshing, it isn't always easy. Being convicted of the darkness in my heart and realizing that I have fallen short of His standards time and time again is a real sucky feeling. But His mercies are new everyday. His grace overflows in abundance. And because of that, I rejoice in the freedom that Christ has given me.

I am learning that when we seek to know Him, He reveals His character. When we hunger for truth, He fills our empty cup. When we are eager to serve, He provides opportunity. When we long to make Him known, the Holy Spirit moves in powerful ways. 

Thank you Jesus for desiring an intimate, relationship with us. Thank you for revealing your heart to your children. May we thirst for nothing, apart from You. I pray that Your desires would be the desires of our hearts. You are beautiful in all your ways.


"May we never lose our wonder. Wide eyed and mystified, may we be just like a child staring at the beauty of our King."
Listen to Wonder by Bethel here.

Much love,
Rachel

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 c o m m e n t s

  1. amen and amen. i honestly couldn't have said it any better myself. seek my face, know my heart is something that has been pressed within my spirit as well. the psalms echo it often enough for me to sit up and take notice that God is pointing something out. <3
    thank you for being so honest and real with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord has spoken through you Rachel. Amazing words, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in love with your blog. thank you for sharing your talent!
    sofia | stars unseen

    ReplyDelete